This legislation will allow a parent to receive approximately one-third of Virginia’s per pupil expenditure on K12 education to place their public school student in a private school or home school, leaving one-third of the expenditure to cover the fixed cost of school operations, and one-third as savings to the state and locality for re-investment in public schools.
VEC found that implementation of the PCESA will deliver the following results:
• Reduce Virginia education cost between $6.8 billion to $16 billion, over
the next 10 to 18 years.
• Save Virginia between $145 million and $180 million in the first full year of implementation.
• Improve NAEP 8th grade math scores by up to 25% over the next ten years.
• Deliver approximately $2,400 savings to local school districts for each student taking an ESA.
• Increase rural county annual income per capita between $1,952 (9%) and $4,500 (20.7%).
• Add between $0.683 trillion and $1.439 trillion to state GDP.
The reported economic and fiscal impact estimates compare favorably to the actual performance of two education choice programs:
The Horizon Program in Bexar County, TX, (see Horizon Program: A Model for Education Reform) and the Milwaukee Parent Choice Program in Milwaukee, WI (The Comprehensive Longitudinal Evaluation of the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program: Summary of Final Reports).
Virginia Free Citizen covers issues your local news doesn’t
We’ll respect your inbox and keep you informed. Our goal is a free, prosperous and secure Virginia.
In 2015, Beck Research, a Democratic polling firm, found that nearly 70 percent of Americans support the concept of education choice, 45 percent strongly support it, and only 27 percent oppose it (New National Poll Shows Growing Momentum for School Choice as 2016 Race Kicks Off).
Isn’t it time to give parents the choice they demand? Call your elected representatives and demand that they support PCESA legislation (contact your Virginia state Delegate or Senator here: Who Is My Delegate or Senator?) http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/.